Where Will the Youngins Learn?


I recently found out a cafe I have played approximately nine million shows at is closing.  Nine million is more representative of the importance of those shows, as opposed to the actual number of times I stood on the stage (although it was many). It feels like nine million. That's how much I learned.

I learned how to sing my heart out to a noisy room where no one is listening.  I learned how to talk to a quiet, attentive room.  I learned when to check my tuning.  I learned to play through sore throats and stomach aches.  I learned that if you wear red lip stick while performing, it will end up all over the microphone and your face. And I learned that if my whole life looked like it did each of those nights, I'd be a pretty lucky girl.

I think sometimes there is a romantic fantasy in the arts where someone has a raw talent and then can be plucked right from their bedroom and dropped onto a stadium stage. They can’t. There is no other industry I can think of that entertains such a notion. Football players play on the JV team before playing in the Super Bowl. Lawyers go to law school and then work their way up through a firm.  Performers need to play for soup before they charge $60 for a ticket.  They just do. Because if you're charging big bucks, you need to put on a killer show.  And I don’t know how you learn to do that before you’ve learned what not to do at 9 million (ish) previous shows.  

I needed those nights when the audience was so oblivious to my existence (let alone my performance) that I might as well have turned the mic off and taken a nap on stage, because I learned I needed to fight to win them over.  A rapt audience is not a right. You have to earn that. Every single show is different and you have to adapt to each one. I learned that in a cafe, and I put it into practice at every venue I play now.  

Sadly, this is not the only venue I frequented those first three years here that has since closed.  I spent nearly every weeknight at an open mic during that time, and only one of them is still open.  Which makes me wonder, where will the youngins learn??

I hope each of these venues rests in peace and that the surviving few live long and healthy lives. I know that people still want live music; they still want that human connection captured during a beautiful performance. They just want it less often thanks to things like Netflix and Facebook and rain. I'm with them... not going to lie. But I'm going to try to stop basing my plans entirely on the weather and go out to see live music!  Because kids aren’t going to stop showing up to NYC with guitars on their backs.  And we won’t get the great shows without the training shows, so let's support these businesses... and our own well-beings and go out :)

Love Love Love,

Kat

Share this:

0 comments :

Post a Comment