Dove Pearl of Wisdom #3



Conveniently, my father is a fan of neat little phrases that promote discipline and hard work.  Two essentials for a productive creative life.  So, here are a few of my Dad favorites:


  1. That thing above your head is more than just a hat rack.  I went through several hat phases (some more flattering than others), but this wasn’t a knock on the hats.  At least I never thought it was until right now.  ANYWAYS... the purpose of the phrase is pretty simple.  Use your brain.  It’s a useful tool.  
  2. It builds character.  I went into heavy detail on this one in THIS ARTICLE for Indie Minded.  Basic gist-- setbacks are an opportunity for growth.
  3. No chewing gum.  This wasn’t really a phrase. Just a general life rule.  One that had me pumped to leave for college where I could finally chew gum 24 hours a day like I’d always dreamed.  Then I went to college and realized that was a silly dream.  Anyways, this rule was not about oral health as much as it was about how you choose to present yourself to the world.  If you show up smacking Bubblicious, you are pretty much shouting "I don't care," and therefore, repelling everybody in sight.  This applies to you as a person, and also to your work.  Pull it together.  Spit out the gum.  Present your best self.  
  4. Slim or None.  The odds of me getting to do something stupid and/or harmful that I wanted to do growing up.  Once those activities were rightfully weeded out, I was left with learning, playing, reading, music, sports, laughing, exploring, imagining, writing, and anything else that was positive and creative.  Thanks Dad.
  5. Sleep is the best medicine-  Here here!!!  Let’s put an end to the “I got no sleep last night because I’m a busy bee who works harder than everyone else” badge of honor.  To anyone who proudly shoves this into the faces of those who value health and function, I kindly request that you shut up and get some rest.  You look tired.  


Dove Dove Dove,
Kat and Dad

Share this:

0 comments :

Post a Comment